Douglas Park

Find Your Place In Douglas Park

About Douglas Park

Douglas Park is a subdivision, neighborhood and park in Arlington, Virginia. The community consists of approximately 850 single-family residences and 2800 multifamily units. The neighborhood is bounded by Columbia Pike (NW), S Quincy Street (E), Walter Reed Drive (SE) and Four Mile Run (S). Adjoining neighborhoods are Nauck (SE) Shirlington (southern tip), Barcroft Park (S), Columbia Forest and Arlington Mill (W), Barcroft and Westmont (NW).

Douglas Park offers public access on South Quincy Street, South Randolph Street, South Stafford Street and on 16th Street South, with a small parking area accessible from the South Randolph Street entrance. The park adjoins numerous residences on each of these streets, as well as on 18th Street South.
Built between 1926 – 1928, The Douglas Park housing development appeared on maps north and south of what is now Walter Reed Drive by 1938, with Douglas Park and New Arlington running together. Douglas Park was now spelled ‘Douglass Park’ assumed to be a tribute to Frederick Douglass. The added “s” was dropped by 2953. Douglass Park was only lightly populated from 17th Street South to a point above 22nd Street South and on the west from South Randolph Street and the Washington & Old Dominion Railway to the community of West Nauck. Most of that portion of Douglass Park is now included in the Nauck Civic Association. Tracts absorbed by the Douglas Park community between South Monroe Street and Walter Reed Drive are the Corbett tract, John Travers’s addition, subdivision of Joel Whitehead’s estate, C.B. Munson’s 3d addition, Munson’s 2d addition, the A.E. Dye Plan, and the R.R. Dye Plan Subdivision. West of South Monroe Street were farms belonging to the Hall, Corbett, and Nicholson families north of 12th Street and south of Columbia Pike; and the Luther Wise addition and the farms of Edward Chewning and Lydia J. Warner South of 12th Street.

Douglas Park offers walking paths, a playground, separate swing area, volleyball court, a small gazebo, picnic pavilion and two barbecue grills. Other community amenities include a dog park at S Pollard Street and 19th Street S, Monroe Park, Doctor’s Run Park, Ft. and Barnard Community Gardens.