Find Your Place In Bluemont

About Bluemont

Bluemont, Arlington Virginia, not to be confused with Bluemont the unincorporated community in Loudoun County, is a home to nearly 6,000 people in west central Arlington County, Virginia.

The neighborhood is bounded by N Carlin Springs Rd on the southeast, N Glebe Road on the northeast tip, dropping south to George Mason Drive on the north and continuing north to Washington Blvd., then dropping southward again to North Jefferson north of Route 66, which it follows nearly to Patrick Henry Drive, then recedes southeast through Bonaire Park and Rose Garden, parallel to Four Mile Run and adjacent to Washington and Old Dominion Trail, through Bluemont Junction Park and further southeasterly to its southern tip, where N Kensington and N Carlin Springs Rd meet.

Bluemont’s early history dates back to Colonial times, 1700-1780, when Arlington was part of the Northern Neck Proprietorship owned by Lord Fairfax in England. In 1739, the Bluemont area was included in the second largest land grant made in what is now Arlington County. A tobacco planter named John Colville, named his 1,321 acre parcel adjacent to Lubber Run “The Lubber Tract.” Colville bought and sold land tracts of tens of thousands of acres in his dealings with William Fairfax, Lord Fairfax’s brother and land agent in Virginia. By 1749, Colville was the third largest slaveowner in Fairfax County. He cultivated tobacco, built a mill and a tavern before dying and willing the tract to the Earl of Tankerville. The Earl subdivided Lubber Tract and sold t at auction in 1789. Some of today’s remaining lot lines are Carlin Springs Road, Wilson Blvd., 11th St. N., and N. 16th Street.

The Virginia land value crash of the early 1800’s led to farm foreclosures and a mass exodus to the west.

During the Civil War, Bluemont was a location used for encampment sites, makeshift hospitals and forts. The damage Bluemont suffered from the war was extensive. Crops were trampled and destroyed, fences became firewood, livestock was confiscated and used to feed soldiers, its timberland was cut for use as building material. Rifle trenches, ammunition bunkers and berms defaced the ground. Barns, outbuildings, and private homes were occupied, damaged, or destroyed. By the war’s end, many residents had fled the area. and the area was effectively re-settled after the war by army veterans, camp followers, and former slaves.

The Bluemont neighborhood reinvented itself in the 1890’s as a railroad town, its name borrowed from the Loudon town that was the last stop on the rail line. It became a Streetcar Suburb from the late 1890’s through the mid-1940’s and its growth accelerated after WWII, completing its buildout by 1960.

Architecture in Bluemont ranges from simple cottage-style farmhouses to stately homes, including Colonial and Colonial Revival, Cape Cod, Craftsman and Craftsman Bungalow, Farmhouse, Dutch Revival and many of the styles typical of Arlington County.

Arlington County designated approximately 70% of Bluemont as a low-density residential neighborhood. Parks and other public places make up about 20%, while commercial and mixed-use areas make up the remaining 10%. Bluemont’s two business districts; the Glebe Road business district and the Wilson Boulevard business district.

The neighborhood’s amenities include flower gardens, a wetlands refuge and beaver pond, streams, stands of heritage trees, historic sites, the satellite campuses of two major universities, and bicycle trails. Parks include Lacey Woods Park, Ballston Pond Park, Fields Park, Bon Air Park, portions of Bluemont Park and Bluemont Junction Park. The Washington and Old Dominion Trail runs from Purcellville to the Potomac River and passes through Bluemont on its western edge, running along Four Mile Run through Bon Air Park and Bluemont Park. The Bluemont neighborhood is also desired for its convenience to DC, proximity to public transportation, access to parks and recreational areas, as well as Ballston, Clarendon and other desirable Arlington City locations.