Arlington Mill

Find Your Place In Arlington Mill

About Arlington Mill

The Arlington Mill neighborhood is bounded by 7th Road S. to the north, Columbia Pike to the south, S. Arlington Mill Drive to the East and S. Carlin Springs Road to the west. Its zip code is 22204.

The area known today as the Arlington Mill neighborhood began with tracts of land acquired between 1724 and 1744. It is named for The Arlington Mill, a grist mill built in 1836 by G.W.P. Custis, originally located near Columbia Pike and the Alexandria, Loudon and Hampshire Railroad where they cross Four Mile Run. The mill was occupied by Union and Confederate troops during the Civil War and was destroyed during that time period. Rebuilt in 1880, the mill continued operation until 1906. The mill was destroyed in a fire in 1920 and is now the site of a community center.

The Arlington Mill neighborhood was established in 1947 at Park Glen and Magnolia Gardens, and expanded over the years. The neighborhood Civic Association was organized in 1975 as the Columbia Heights West Civic Association, renamed in 2015 to Arlington Mill. Nearly half the area’s homes were built between 1947 and 1950, including Magnolia Gardens and Park Glen, Columbia Gardens and Columbia Heights, Greenbrier, Tyroll Hills and the 1950’s duplex houses. The neighborhood was nearly 95% complete by 1965, but several apartment buildings converted to condominiums or cooperatives between 1972 to 1982 and some new housing was added from 1984 to 2004.

Arlington Mill offers a Saturday farmer’s market and Tyrol Hill Park, completed in 2018 on a 2-acre site adjoining Forest Glen.